Amazon is constantly updating its tools and resources to make it easier for FBA sellers to reach their target audiences.
In 2021, Amazon improved its customer engagement tool, enabling brands to market to shoppers who opted to follow their store or brand. This change was a welcome move since it allows brands to create deeper relationships with buyers fostering brand loyalty.
Before the tool, brands had minimal interactions with customers. Amazon sweetened the pot this year by launching a new Tailored Audiences tool. The tool goes beyond reaching out to customers who follow your brand. Now, brands can customize their marketing campaigns to customers who've purchased from them in the past twelve months. You can now easily target customers using attributes such as product interest and brand loyalty.
So, what does Amazon's tailored audiences tool mean for your brand, and how can you use it to improve your customer engagement? Read more to find out.
What Are Amazon’s Tailored Audiences?
Customers are the glue that keeps your Amazon store functioning. That's why as a brand, you need to find meaningful ways to connect with your customers — new and existing. Selling on Amazon means enjoying an array of tools and resources that help you build profitable and lasting relationships with every customer who interacts with your brand.
This year at the Amazon Accelerate conference, Amazon launched a new tool, an improvement of the Amazon Customer Engagement tool — Tailored Audiences. The new tool offers brands new capabilities to reach customers by making it possible to personalize their marketing campaigns. The new tool helps brands revamp their marketing efforts to target customers based on attributes like brand loyalty and product interest.
The old tool has limitations as it only allowed brands to market to only one segment of customers — shoppers who followed their stores or brands. The new tool allows you to engage with customers who've bought from you in the past. Now you can send emails to select customers regarding new products and offers, encouraging repeat purchases.
The new tool introduced customer segmenting capabilities. With the new tailored audiences, Amazon sellers can now target three types of customers and reach out to them through email. This includes:
- Repeat customers: Shoppers who've purchased from you more than once in the last twelve months. These customers have the highest chance of coming back as it means that they already find value in your product. You cement their brand loyalty by keeping them engaged through customized email marketing campaigns.
- High-spend customers: These customers have spent the most on your store in the last twelve months. They represent 25% of your highest-spending customers. Like repeat customers, high-spend customers already find value in your product or brand; otherwise, they wouldn't be spending so much on your store. Customized email campaigns will help keep your brand in mind when they want to purchase next. It will also encourage repeat purchases and brand loyalty.
- Recent customers: These are not repeat customers but shoppers who've purchased from you recently in the last twelve months. They represent 20% of your most recent purchases. You want to keep them coming back by maintaining the quality of your product, offering irresistible deals, and continuously improving your brand and product. Customized email marketing campaigns to this customer group can help you quickly turn them into repeat or high-spend customers in no time.
Need Help? Check out the SmartScout tool suite to find the best products and brands to sell on Amazon. Get the free trial today.
How To Use Amazon’s Tailored Audiences To Take Your Online Store to the Next Level
The Amazon Tailored Audiences tool means you can finally take your marketing to the next level and target customers outside your brand or store followers. The easy-to-use templates make it easy to market a new product, offer deals, and encourage repeat purchases. Here are some ways to maximize your marketing efforts using Tailored Audiences:
#1 Send Promotional Emails
You can send promotional emails to any group of customers who have purchased from you — repeat, high-spend, or recent customers. Create marketing campaigns to keep them engaged about discounted products, upcoming collections, coupon deals, and your latest release. Don't forget to add a link that directs customers to the product page you're targeting.
However, refrain from sending so many emails. Nobody wants to receive two or three marketing emails from the same brand daily. If you do that, you risk having a lot of unsubscribes. One promotional email a week is more than enough. Consider varying your emails by sending a few education emails in between rather than always sending marketing emails.
#2 Keep Monitoring the Performance of Your Marketing Campaign
A marketing campaign you can't measure is a fruitless endeavor that won't help you scale your brand. Once you start sending email marketing campaigns, you must measure their performance. You can use metrics such as open rates, emails delivered, clickthrough rates, opt-out rates, conversions, and sales.
- Open rate: This indicates how many customers are opening your emails. The best practice is to compare the number week-over-week. If you have thousands of subscribers, but only a handful is opening your emails, you might want to change the subject line.
- Clickthrough rate: This represents the number of customers who click on the links you include in the email. Clickthrough rate is an important metric to measure the success of your marketing campaign. The better the clickthrough rate, the better the engagement.
- Sales and conversion rates: This metric indicates how much sales your campaign generates. It is a direct indicator of your marketing campaign's success. If people are clicking your links but not purchasing, you need to go back to the drawing board and determine what you are doing wrong.
#3 Follow the Best Email Marketing Campaigns
You have everything at your disposal to create a successful email marketing campaign that targets customers who've purchased from you in the past twelve months. However, your email marketing campaign's success depends on how you handle the whole process. Here are the best email marketing practices that will help you generate a profitable outcome:
- Don't overwhelm your customers with overflowing or spammy emails; one email will do.
- Find an appropriate time to send your emails. Sending marketing campaigns late into the high won't yield much, as your email will likely be buried beneath others that stream in later and in the morning. Send your emails when customers are more engaged; it will guarantee higher clickthrough rates and even high sales and conversion rates.
- Promote your new products and deals as the primary product.
- Add supporting images of other products to create diversity and increase the chances of your customers purchasing at least one of them.
- Use interesting lifestyle images to pique the curiosity of your customers enough to have them click your link to learn more.
- Always accompany your email with a brand logo image, possibly on a clear, transparent background. You are not the only brand sending marketing emails, so let them get familiar with your brand.
- Get help from an Amazon marketing agency to create better campaigns and maximize your sales.
Marketing is never easy when you sell in the world's largest e-commerce space. Amazon's Tailored Audiences tool lets you send email marketing campaigns to customers who've purchased from your Amazon store. It's a great way to drive brand loyalty, engagement, and retention with Amazon customers. Use the new tool to send new product launch announcements, inspire repeat purchases, offer promotions, drive brand loyalty, and monitor impact with crucial performance metrics.
The tool is currently in beta testing. However, Amazon expects the full release to be available in the next six months with even more features such as customer HTML uploads and improved templates to help you get more creative with your campaigns.
Need help finding the best products to sell on the world’s largest online marketplace? SmartScout can help. Check out the SmartScout tool suite to find the best products and brands to sell on Amazon.
Get the free trial today.